We’ll be posting pics soon, but MAN was that a good time! We couldn’t believe that the rain magically let up and there was no strong wind for a good two hours.
How gorgeous was the Race Street Pier? And everyone leaning out their cars to sing with us when we were on the steps of UArts? Amazing!
We (Steph & Karenina) are incredibly grateful to all of the hard working people who stepped in at just the right moment to help us out:
Adam -In addition to being the man behind our posters, thank you for working hard on those spoke cards and for totally pulling through as a rad corraller.
Dan - Thank you for working so hard on those fun spoke cards and for guiding everyone on the route! That was so key, and we are so glad you did it.
Kate - Thanks for handing out glow sticks, collecting donations and handing out spoke cards in the shitty pre-ride weather! Thanks also for being a super helpful corraller.
Skip - Thank you SO much for helping us haul all of the equipment to the meeting point. We’re so glad you stuck around for the ride!
John Caddell - You didn’t even participate in the ride and you still came out to help carry and set up equipment in the rain. Thank you for being such a dedicated volunteer!
Molly Henry and Ryan File -The two of you showed up at just the right moment. Thank you for doing a beautifully thorough job of rigging the amp and battery to Karenina’s bike – that stuff wasn’t going anywhere!
Liz - Thanks for stopping with Karenina to get water – she would have passed out if that hadn’t happened.
Jane - Thanks for offering a place for Karenina to store her bike and some of the equipment, and for lending her a pair of dry socks so she didn’t freeze on her ride home.
Everyone - Thank you for coming, being awesomely patient with our equipment snafus, and for being so free and joyous in your dancing. Together we made magic happen.
We can’t wait to do it again! We’re thinking mid-end of May (after we’re done with final exams) for the next ride.
Want to help out? Please say yes! If so, please send an email to Karenina and Steph at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
We will post the next meeting date and time here on the site. We will also email it to you, if we have your info. It will likely be in mid-late April.
Here’s what you can do to help make it happen:
- help us figure out a solid, reliable sound system
- help us figure out a solid, reliable way to make the sound system mobile
- share some music/make a playlist
- make our site posts pretty- Karenina is in law school and doesn’t know the first thing about design!
- get posters printed
- come to the volunteers’ meeting! This is when the most important decision making happens (eg date, time, meeting spot, key dancing spots, after party location), and it’s super helpful to have other riders involved in that process. It’s also when we distribute posters, stickers, chalk and all meet each other.
- hang posters
- hand out stickers to people
- make chalk signs on sidewalks and in bike lanes
- reach out to other blogs and organizations
- talk to local bike shops
- choose dancing spots
- create the route, lay it out in google maps
- transport equipment to the meeting spot
- hand out glow sticks to people, collect donations
- help people with flats and other malfunctions
- memorize the route ahead of time, direct riders during the ride
- lots of little things, like attaching the equipment to bikes before the route, greeting riders, informing them of the route, checking for litter at each spot, etc.
Hurray! The route is here! It traveled far and it made it all the way here to our own little website to spend some time with us. We love you, Route!
Sometimes GoogleMaps is slow to load, so here are the detailed directions for your convenience.
Love Park: Meeting Spot – in front of the LOVE statue, of course! Bring your friends and bike lights! Friday, Feb 24 7pm
1. Head South on 15th St. toward Walnut.
2. Turn Right onto Walnut, stop at Rittenhouse square
Rittenhouse Square: Dancing Spot #1
We have to got show Rittenhouse some love! Gotta dig dancing on those stone walls and letting it all hang out, too. ;)
3. Head West on Walnut, circle around Rittenhouse.
4. Bear Left after crossing Spruce St.
5. Turn Left onto Pine St.
6. Head East on Pine. Bear left after crossing 17th St.
7. Turn Left onto 17th St. Head North to Locust St.
8. Turn Right onto Locust St. Head East toward Broad St.
9. Turn Right onto Broad St. Head South toward Pine St.
10. Stop at UArts main building.
University of the Arts: Dancing Spot #2
The beautifully lit steps of their main hall is our dance spot of choice.
11. Cross Broad, head East on Pine, bear left to 13th St.
12. Turn Right onto Market St. Head East to 5th St.
13. Turn Left onto 13th St. Head North to Market St.
14. Stop at 5th & Market. Dance!
Independence Mall: Dancing Spot #3.
Stop! Dance! Celebrate the new elevator to the El! Show the tourists how much fun living here is. Enjoy life in the birthplace of our freedom.
15. Head east on Market to 3rd St. Bear Left after crossing 4th St.
16. Turn Left onto 3rd St. Head North to Race St.
17. Turn Right onto Race St. Continue under underpass.
18. Continue on Race. Cross Columbus Blvd.
19. Stop at Race Street Pier. (Dance!)
Race Street Pier: Dancing Spot #5
Have you seen this yet? It’s gorgeous! Plus it has all different levels to hop around, and it’s back-lit by the river. Add your bike and your most recent crush and you’ve got the perfect recipe for a post-Valentine’s Day romance. Spaghetti, anyone?
20. Turn Right onto Delaware Ave. Continue North to Spring Garden.
21. Turn Left onto Spring Garden. Head West to 3rd St.
22. Turn Right onto 3rd St. Head north to Liberty Lands Park.
23. Stop just before Wildey St and Dance!
Liberty Lands Park: Dancing Spot # 6
Hop on the stage and dance with us! Enjoy the trees and the clean air in a community park.
24. Turn Right onto Wildley St. Head East toward N American St.
25. Turn Left onto N American St. Head North to Germantown Ave.
26. Turn Right onto Germantown Ave. Head South to Hancock St.
27. Turn Right onto N. Hancock St. Stop at PYT.
PYT – Ending spot + After Party: Dancing Spot #7
PYT is hosting us for some after-hours booty shaking! Drink specials and more rad DJ’ing, the party never stops!
Excited for Friday? So are we!
Here’s what you can get together in the mean time so you can be all ready to go: *
- Bike lock
- Reflective tape
- White clothing
- Patch kit/bike pump
- ID +wallet (if you’re going to the after party)
- Water bottle
*None of these things are required but they are all strongly encouraged so that you don’t get hit by a car and brake your head, which would make for a sadddd party.
Philly Bike Party FB Event
Thanks so much to Fairmount Bicycles for posting this rad note ab us:
If you’ve ever had the urge to combine your love for cycling and dance parties, be sure to join others at Love Park this February 24th at 7pm for just that. Sync up your boomboxes, ride around Philly, and stop at predetermined locations for some booty shaking. More info at phillybikeparty.org.
JOIN US ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24TH FOR MORE BOOMBOXBANGING
(time and route TBA)
Want to help plan the route make an awesome playlist or hand out some stickers? Come to the meeting on January 29, 6:30pm, 1318 Walnut St.
Questions? email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org